Thursday, June 6, 2013

Low Carb, Nearly Sugar Free, Lemony Sweet Potato Cheesecake

        I have an inordinate amount of cream cheese sitting in our fridge because I adore making these low carb cream cheese "pancakes" from I Breathe... I'm Hungry... That blog is amazing, by the way. You should check it out. I also bought two sweet potatoes a week ago and I don't really like sweet potatoes unless they're in a pie, so I'm really not sure why I bought them. (I'll blame Instagram.) In the meantime, I've been daydreaming about making a low-carb cheesecake for weeks. (I'll blame Outback Steakhouse.) I'm also in the middle of my last week or so of grad school for the semester, so while I really don't have the time to even THINK about making cheesecake, I also have the tendency stay up until 3 a.m. to satisfy my own curiosity. So as a result of my own curiosity and need to not waste sweet potatoes I randomly bought, I give you... 

Sweet Potato Cheesecake ::FANFARE::
Ingredients:
3 8oz. packages of cream cheese, room temp
3 eggs, room temp
2 tablespoons of raw honey
1 cup Splenda
2 cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons milled flax seed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325
Mix eggs, sweet potato, and cream cheese in large mixing bowl until smooth***
Add other ingredients and mix until smooth
Pour into spring-form pan, and bake for 35 minutes.
Turn off the oven, open the door, and leave the cheesecake in the oven for 30 minutes to allow the cheesecake to properly set.
Take cheesecake out of the oven and allow to set for another 30 minutes.
Chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
Serve!

***DO NOT OVERMIX. If you do, your cheesecake will have huge cracks. I forgot about this when I was mixing and now I have a huge, ugly crack down the center of my cheesecake.

Nutrition:
Serves 16
Calories: 160
Carbs: 8g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 4g
Fat: 12g

Sugar: 5g


No comments:

Post a Comment